November 05, 2008
Now that Barrack "The One" Obama has been annointed elected, conservatives are doing their usual soul-searching and navel gazing. Wondering "what went wrong", "why don't they like us" and other crap. RINOs are whining that we should move left. Be moderate. Ok, screw that. Look the reason Republicans lost is because they let the NY TImes pick their candidate instead of getting a conservative. So what is a conservative? I wrote this over at Ace's trying to figure out what conservatives should do in light of our recent defeat and what lessons we should learn:
1. Playing by the rules is for suckers.
2. Honor is meaningless when the culture that created the concept of honor is demonized.
3. When you are attacked you FIGHT BACK
4. We can't just rely on Rush and Sean to get the message out. They'll be silenced before the end of next year. The press is totally hostile and effectively a propaganda arm of the Dems. We need to develop ways to reach a mass audience that can by-pass the press and the Fairness Doctrine.
5. We need political leadership unafraid to stand up FOR US. And more importantly our principles!
6. Every elected office in this country MUST be contested for. Its disgusting that people like Jefferson, Frank, and Pelosi had no serious opposition.
7. We need to target certian dems for defeat in 2010 NOW! Frank, Murtha, Dodd, Jefferson, Schumer, Reid, and Pelosi all need to have credible candidates opposing them.
8. Bipartisanship is a four letter word for Conservatives. No more compromising. No play-along-to-get-along crap.
9. Schadenfreud is NOT going to win the election in 2010. Principled positions are. Being Lefty-lite is not going to win elections.
10. Never let the NY Times pick your presidential candidate!
But what does being conservative mean?
1. We believe in the ideas of Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
2. We believe in a limited, constrained government.
3. We believe in low taxes.
4. We believe in a strong national defense
5. We believe in personal responsibility
6. We believe in American Exceptionalism
7. We believe in the protection of life at all stages, from conception til natural death.
8. We believe success should be rewarded, not punished.
I'm sure there is more, but I think these are a good start. So now what should Conservatives campaign on to win in 2010?
1. Smaller less intrusive governement. Scaling back government rather than increasing it. No more bailouts. No more new benefits programs.
2. Energy independence. Real solutions for right now. No pie-in-the-sky 20 years down the road solutions.
3. Lower Taxes. The US should be a tax haven not a tax hell. Lower the corporate taxes, income taxes, capital gains, and death taxes.
4. Hold government officials accountable. Too often if a politician has a (D) its a get out of jail free card.
5. No more bi-partisanship. Being gracious and accomodating to the other side has gotten us nothing. There is no good will towards us on the other side. Get this straight: Liberals view conservatives as EVIL. Their goal is not to work with us, but to destroy us. Liberals view America as the source of all evil in the world. They want to tear it down, and replace it with their own version of a socialist utopia. Anyone who opposes them in their holy cause must be destroyed, and any and all means to accomplish this goal are considered fair neccessary.
6. Fight for your principles. Responding to attacks is not beneath the dignity of your office. If you don't defend your ideals you won't have an office.
I'm sure I'll think of more as time goes on.
UPDATE: Mace suggested the Sharon Statement which I've added below the foldIn this time of moral and political crises, it is the responsibility of the youth of America to affirm certain eternal truths.
We, as young conservatives, believe:
That foremost among the transcendent values is the individual's use of his God-given free will, whence derives his right to be free from the restrictions of arbitrary force;
That liberty is indivisible, and that political freedom cannot long exist without economic freedom;
That the purpose of government is to protect those freedoms through the preservation of internal order, the provision of national defense, and the administration of justice;
That when government ventures beyond these rightful functions, it accumulates power, which tends to diminish order and liberty;
That the Constitution of the United States is the best arrangement yet devised for empowering government to fulfill its proper role, while restraining it from the concentration and abuse of power;
That the genius of the Constitution- the division of powers- is summed up in the clause that reserves primacy to the several states, or to the people, in those spheres not specifically delegated to the Federal government;
That the market economy, allocating resources by the free play of supply and demand, is the single economic system compatible with the requirements of personal freedom and constitutional government, and that it is at the same time the most productive supplier of human needs;
That when government interferes with the work of the market economy, it tends to reduce the moral and physical strength of the nation; that when it takes from one man to bestow on another, it diminishes the incentive of the first, the integrity of the second, and the moral autonomy of both;
That we will be free only so long as the national sovereignty of the United States is secure; that history shows periods of freedom are rare, and can exist only when free citizens concertedly defend their rights against all enemies;
That the forces of international Communism are, at present, the greatest single threat to these liberties;
That the United States should stress victory over, rather than coexistance with, this menace; and
That American foreign policy must be judged by this criterion: does it serve the just interests of the United States?
Sweet. Ace needs a thread like this.
Let me add this:
1- We need conservative teachers. Give scholarships and bonus income.
2- Advance those teachers to Proffesorships.
3- We need journalists. Scholarships and schools needed.
4- We need entertainers. Support and incourage all conservative entertainers. We need movies and songs to counter the entertainment propaganda.
5- We need groups to sue any and all liberal groups for and and all pretense.
Posted by: kidney at November 05, 2008 01:24 PM (QAdII)
I know what you mean, but if we don't have clear principles, changing the culture will be next to impossible.
The real problem will be in stripping the party of the RINOs, who by their very nature will garner media support.
Posted by: Iblis at November 05, 2008 01:44 PM (9221z)
Posted by: Mace Oswald at November 05, 2008 02:14 PM (cUKsB)
Any consideration given to the FairTax?
It would be the largest transfer of power from the government to the people ever, it would create the best economic environment for bringing jobs and new businesses back to the US and would be the "fairest" way to tax the citizenry.
Posted by: just_thinking at November 05, 2008 03:25 PM (VATPT)
Hmm, I'll have to look at it. Wasn't Huckabee promoting something similar?
I like the idea of a flat tax: 1 person, 1 vote, 1 tax rate.
Posted by: Iblis at November 05, 2008 06:51 PM (9221z)
24 queries taking 0.0059 seconds, 33 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.